is a literary essay about cycling long distances: My theory of bicycling. Measure Twice Cut Once was first published in Thin Air Magazine in April of 2017.
is the oldest organized bike ride in the world. 1225 kilometers in 3 1/2 days. My most painful and glorious bike rides. It happens every four years. I rode it twice. This link to the 2003 ride. is a normal narrative. This link to 2007 is all about pain.
This Narrative of Pac Tour Central Continental in 2005 (this ride appears in Measure Twice, Cut Once) was written as blog posts. Pac Tour, Pacific -Atlantic Cycling Tours, is the greatest bicycle touring company in the world. These posts are untouched since it was typed into my then-PDA with the folding bluetooth keyboard I carried.
I’ve taken two major road cycling tours in Peru, also with PAC Tour. These files are blog posts (with photos and spelling errors!) that describe each tour.
A permanent is a designated route cataloged by Randonneurs, USA. Members of RUSA can register with the route owner (i.e. me) and do the ride to gain credit toward various prizes and mileage awards that RUSA grants. All our local permanents are listed at SF Randonneurs. My Permanents:
- San Franciscadero. 2o4K. SF-Pescadero-Gazos Creek-Alpnie Road-Woodside’SF.
- Marin Meanderings 208K. SF-Marshall-Chileno Valley-Petaluma-Novato-SF
- Sonomarin. 300K SF-Healdsburg-Jenner-Bodega Bay-Nicasio-SF
- Mountains to Megalopolis. 309K. Kirkwood-Pollock Pines-Auburn-Davis-Vacaville-Martinez BART
- California Coastal. 600K. SF-Pacifica-Monterey-Santa Maria-Los Olivos-San Maros Pass-Santa Barbara